What to Know
Four countries now report more than 100,000 cases of COVID-19 each, with the United States leading all jurisdictions with more than 350,000 cases. Globally there have been 1,324,907 reported cases of COVID-19. Canada reported 16,498 cases today.
Ontario now reports 4,347 cases of COVID-19. The province has now tested 78,796 individuals and reports 329 tests are currently under investigation.
This morning Premier Ford told reporters the United States had stopped the shipment of medical equipment from crossing the border into Canada. Later in the morning Minister of Foreign Affairs Francois-Phillippe Champagne spoke with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to resolve the issue. By the afternoon, Premier Ford says 500,000 of the masks that were held up by U.S. officials will now make their way to the province.
This afternoon, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson was moved to intensive care due to his COVID-19 diagnosis. Queen Elizabeth addressed the United Kingdom yesterday.
The Prime Minister said in his news conference this morning that the government is looking to ensure individuals not covered by the federal COVID-19 benefit will receive assistance. The Prime Minister said adjustments to the program will be coming to ensure people such as gig economy workers, contractors, and those who continue to work but are making less than they would through Canada Emergency Response Benefit, such as home care workers or people caring for vulnerable seniors in long-term care facilities, would receive assistance. The program will also help those who are working reduced hours. More information here.
More than 240,000 people have already successfully applied for CERB through the CRA. Learn more about how to apply for CERB.
Yesterday, Minister of International Development Karina Gould announced the allocation of $159.5 million in funding to support international efforts to fight the COVID-19 pandemic. This investment includes $50 million announced by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau earlier in March.
This afternoon the Ontario government announced an emergency order that will allow police, firefighters and paramedics to obtain COVID-19 positive status information about individuals with whom they are coming into contact. Minister of Health Christine Elliott and Solicitor General Sylvia Jones said in a release:
“The information disclosed will be limited to an individual’s name, address, date of birth, and whether the individual has had a positive COVID-19 test result. Strict protocols will be enforced to limit access to this information and will only be used to allow first responders to take appropriate safety precautions to protect themselves and the communities they serve. Once the declaration of emergency is lifted, this data will be made inaccessible to first responders.”
Yesterday the government announced it would offer direct financial support to parents while Ontario schools and child care centres remain closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The new Support for Families initiative offers a one-time payment of $200 per child 0 to 12 years of age, and $250 for those 0 to 21 years of age with special needs.
This weekend Mayor Tory asked the Province to ban evictions for small businesses. The Mayor also asked commercial landlords to work with their tenants to develop arrangements like spreading rent out over the year. His full address is available on YouTube.
|Country||Total cases at 3:30 p.m.||Total cases Friday at 3:30 p.m.||Increase from previous||Cases per million||Total recovered||Total deaths|