What to Know
Globally there are more than 450,000 cases of COVID-19, up more than 50,000 from yesterday. Canada reports 3,290 cases, up from 2,583 yesterday. Maclean’s reports Quebec has changed how it counts cases of COVID, now combining confirmed and probable cases into one overall number which is why the province now says it has more than 1,000 cases. Ontario confirmed 100 new cases. There are now 688 cases of COVID-19 in the province.
Canada Goose announced today it will begin manufacturing medical gear for health care workers at its Winnipeg and Toronto facilities. It will begin by making scrubs and patient gowns and plans to ship them at no cost to hospitals across the country next week.
The federal government’s Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) passed in the House of Commons this morning and the Senate this afternoon. The CERB is a streamlined combination of the previously announced Emergency Care Benefit and Emergency Support Benefit. The government says Canadians can expect payments in the coming weeks with the application process to begin in early April. More information expected to be released shortly.
The government also announced all travellers returning to Canada are mandated to self-isolate for 14 days. Minister of Health Patty Hajdu is invoking the Quarantine Act to force anyone entering Canada to self-isolate, with the exception of those considered to be doing essential work.
The Provincial government will release its fiscal update this afternoon. The Canadian Press reports “the update will include a ‘significant focus’ on providing supports to the health-care sector, as well as supports for businesses and the economy overall.” Toronto Region Board of Trade will have more to say on after the update has been released.
- The number of COVID-19 cases in the United States is expected to overtake Italy in the coming days. There are now more than 61,000 reported cases in the country, up from 50,000 yesterday.
- China is reporting 81,218 cases up slightly from yesterday’s 81,171 cases.
- India’s number of COVID-19 cases has grown to from 519 to 606.
- Italy is reporting another 5,000 new cases, now at 74,386 from yesterday’s 69,176 cases. Spain grew to 47,610 cases and Germany has 35,740 cases. The UK has 8,089 cases, more than 5000 of which are in England and nearly 500 in Scotland.
- Iran now reports 27,017 cases, up from 24,811 cases yesterday.
- The number of cases in Brazil is also growing now over 2,200 from 1,891 cases yesterday and Chile reports 1,142 cases up from 922 cases yesterday.