What to Know
COVID-19 cases in the United States continue to grow rapidly and the country now comprises of approximately 20 per cent of COVID-19 cases globally. There are now more than 765,000 cases globally, up from 575,000 on Friday, largely driven by the spike in U.S. cases, but also driven by continued growth in Europe. Canada reports 7,297 cases, up from 4,622 cases on Friday. As of 10:30 this morning, there are 1,706 cases in Ontario and the province has tested 48,461 patients. The Province updates its numbers twice daily.
Last week Prime Minister Trudeau announced a series of measures aimed at helping businesses stay afloat, support their workforce, and resume operations once physical distancing is lifted. Today, the Prime Minister provided more details about the wage subsidy, which was a key ask of SMEs and business groups. The Prime Minister said, all businesses, including charities and non-profits, that can demonstrate a revenue drop of at least 30% due to COVID-19 are eligible. The government will pay up to 75% of the first $58,700 earned (up to $847/week – backdated to March 15).
Over the weekend, Transport Minister Marc Garneau announced new domestic transportation measures, to limit the spread of COVID-19 across the country.
Premier Doug Ford announced earlier today that the government will extend the state of emergency for another two weeks. The Premier reminded Ontarians to stay home after hearing reports of people taking advantage of the nice weather and filling the streets over the weekend. He stated that he would not hesitate to take further measures to keep people safe if people don’t stay home and limit their out of home activities.
- United States is reporting nearly 155,705 cases, up from 95,000 on Friday. New York State alone accounts for nearly 60,000 cases, 33,768 of which are in New York City.
- China reports only 100 new cases of COVID-19 since Friday, now up to 81,439 cases.
- India’s number of COVID-19 cases has grown to 1,251 from 724 cases on Friday.
- Italy is reporting more than 100,000 cases. Spain has now surpassed China’s total COVID-19 cases, with 85,199 reported cases and Germany has 64,527 cases.
- The UK has 22,141 cases, up from 14,543 cases on Friday.
- Brazil is now reporting 4,330 cases, up from just over 3,000 cases on Friday, while and Chile is reporting a total of 2,449 cases.