WHAT TO KNOW
Global COVID-19 cases have reached 6,431,429, up from 6,340,273 at 3:30 p.m. yesterday. Canada now reports 92,390 cases, up from 91,647 cases of COVID-19 yesterday. Ontario reports 28,709 cases, up from 28,263 cases yesterday.
The growth rate of new cases in the province continues to remain under 2%, with 446 (1.6%) new cases reported since yesterday. Of the province’s total cases, 22,484 have been resolved (78.3%) and there have been 2,293 deaths (8%). The province has now completed 747,964 tests and reports 10,622 tests are currently under investigation. More information here.
The City of Toronto has shared a breakdown by postal code of all COVID-19 cases here.
A province-by-province breakdown of Canada’s COVID-19 case count can be found here.
Today, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry Navdeep Bains announced the names of nine business leaders who will join Monique Leroux on the new and recently announced Industry Strategy Council. Dr. Mona Nemer, Canada’s Chief Science Advisor, joins as an ex-officio member to provide the perspective on science and research. The Council provides a forum for the Government to hear from and collaborate with industry leaders to assess the scope and depth of COVID-19’s impact on industries and to understand specific sectoral pressures.
In addition to Monique Leroux and Dr. Mona Nemer, the Government has enlisted the following senior business leaders to be part of the Council, which will hold virtual meetings every two weeks over the next 90 days:
- Murad Al-Katib, President and Chief Executive Officer, AGT Food and Ingredients – Agri-food sector
- John Baker, M.S.C., President and Chief Executive Officer, D2L Corporation – Digital Industries sector
- Rhonda Barnet, President and Chief Operating Officer, AVIT Manufacturing – Advanced Manufacturing sector
- Paviter Binning, President, Wittington Investments, Limited – Retail sector
- Ben Cowan-Dewar, Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer, Cabot Links – Tourism & Hospitality sector
- Karimah Es Sabar, Chief Executive Officer and Partner, Quark Venture – Health & Biosciences sector
- Karen Hamberg, Vice President of External Affairs and Sustainability, Westport Fuel Systems Inc. – Clean Technology sector
- Mark Little, President and Chief Executive Officer, Suncor Energy Inc. – Resources of the Future sector
- Sylvie Vachon, President and Chief Executive Officer, Montreal Port Authority – Transportation sector
Each member, including two returning Chairs of the Economic Strategy Tables, has insight into an industry that is of vital importance to Canada at this time. More information here.
The Ontario government continues investing in local manufacturers in order to keep frontline workers and communities safe during the COVID-19 outbreak. More innovative businesses are receiving financial support today through the Ontario Together Fund to re-tool their processes and increase their capacity to make personal protective equipment (PPE).
“Our entrepreneurs, businesses and workers are stepping up and unleashing the full strength of Ontario’s manufacturing might ― sometimes doubling or tripling their output and working modern-day miracles in the fight against COVID-19,” said Premier Ford. “Our government is proud to partner with our champions in the business community to establish ‘made-in-Ontario’ as the gold-standard for medical supplies and equipment here in Canada and around the world.” More information here.
|Country||Total cases at 3:30 p.m.||Total cases yesterday at 3:30 p.m.||Increase from previous||Active Cases (Increase decrease)||Cases per million||Total recovered||Total deaths|